lone ranger

lone ranger

Friday, May 9, 2014

Carolina Olympic

This past weekend I had the opportunity to race locally, not just nearby, but in Davidson. On my turf, on the roads that I bike everyday and on roads that I run everyday.  This is a rare opportunity and I was excited to race! I knew it would be a well run race as Jones Racing Company was hosting the event and they are top notch.  And with so many friends and ICE teammates racing I knew it was going to be a really fun race!


Swim: 25:45 (includes wetsuit off/shoes on) / 1st AG / 1st Overall


My brand new Blue Seventy Helix Wetsuit arrived just in time for the race and I couldn't wait to try it out.  I've never really "raced" the swim portion of  a triathlon, so I decided this would be my debut.  All of the Age Group Females started together.  As soon as the horn sounded I took off fast, I wanted to get away from as many people as possible and figured I'd try to stay close to any group that formed in the front.  As I settled into a somewhat comfortable, yet uncomfortable pace I noticed only 1 person slightly ahead of me.  I've never tried to swim on someone's feet, but decided to give it a go.  I swam on her feet for a bit, but found she wasn't swimming a straight line, then when sighting she was breast stroking and I'd run into her.  After the 3rd or so round of this I made my move when she stopped to sight, putting in a surge and hopefully preventing her from getting on my feet.  As I continued to swim I kept looking for anyone else ahead of me, but couldn't find anyone.  Doubting that this was actually correct,  I did start to get a little excited at the possibility of being the first age group female out of the water.

The run to T1 was 1/3 of a mile and over some significant gravel, many people placed a 2nd pair of running shoes by the timing mats for the run up to T1. Best decision I made all day! I ran out of the water, wetsuit off & shoes on then over the timing mat and up to T1.  As I was getting out of my wetsuit a spectator told me I was the first female out of the water! Sweet!  Turns out the female I was swimming with was a novice, so kudos to her on a great swim.


Longest run to T1 ever.

T1: 4:17


Long run and apparently took my sweet little time here. I ran into my buddy Tristan (who started 5 minutes ahead of me) and I made a point to heckle him a bit knowing he'd hand it right back to me as he blazed past me on the bike soon after.


Bike: 1:29:34 / 1st AG / 18th Overall

Not much to say about the bike except that it was really nice knowing the roads and knowing exactly where I was at all times.  I'm not a strong cyclist (clearly by the 18th overall time) so I just tried to stay relaxed, in aero position and with a comfortable effort.  It wasn't long before the ladies started to catch me and I could say my hellos as friends passed me on the bike.  Tristan at mile 4 and Tara at mile 16 blew by me like I was literally sitting still.

I felt good about my ride, my pace and was relatively ok with my watts until we hit the neighborhood (River Run) to make our way to Bailey Park/T2.  I lost a ton of speed through here and on the climbs to Bailey Park and just tried to minimize the damage as much as possible.

Just out for a little cruise on my bike.


T2: 1:14

As always, one of the happiest parts of a triathlon...off my bike and on 2 feet! I forgot my gel leaving transition, but knew with 200 calories on the bike I'd be ok or could grab something on the course if needed.


Run: 50:43 / 1st AG / 5th Overall


My goal was to run about 8:15 pace on this hilly course and to push the pace slightly since I felt I ran too easy at Belews.  Right out of the gate my pace was sub 8:00 but I felt ok so I went with it.  I felt fantastic on the run and loved seeing friends running on the course as well as the crew of spectators at the Patrick Johnson Hill.  The last 1 mile climb back up to Bailey Park about broke me, but again I was just trying to minimize the damage of this one mile.  Of course Ashley finally found me at this point and I could hear his footsteps running behind me the entire way up the series of hills.  I was appreciative of his support, but was mildly irritated with him taunting me up the hill as I knew he'd already finished his race.  I was too out of breath to even ask how his race went.  

I love running downhill.

I crossed the finish line in 2:51:33, 1st in my Age Group and 7th overall.  I was excited about my overall result, but the highlights of the day were 1st Overall Female on the swim (should've been 2nd but my dear friend Carrie decided to swim the Half Course vs the Olympic Course) and a 10K PR by 1:40 from just 3 weeks ago and 8:09 pace.  That's 3 consecutive 10K PRs in my last 3 Olympic distance triathlons.  Let's see if I can make it a 4th at Stumpy Creek later this summer!

My IM training besties Tristan & Tara.

Ashley finished First Overall with his ICE buddies Ross and Fletch close behind with 2nd & 3rd.  Congrats to all of my friends who raced that day, they all had fantastic results.  I loved this local race and hope that it grows year after year with JRC. We had quite a lot to celebrate that afternoon with the entire crew by the pool.  This was Sunday Funday at it's finest.

Top 3 Overall: Ashley, Ross, Fletch & Coach.


Victory is sweet!

Next weekend we head to Chattanooga for 3 days of training on the IM course!! I'm hugely intimidated, but thoroughly excited!! #DOTHECHOO

Then, Eagleman 70.3 in less than 1 month! Time to get excited about my 2nd go at the Half Distance!

No comments:

Post a Comment